Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Biking on the Sidewalk

So I know I haven't posted it a while. It's not because I don't have anything to write about, because I totally do. But when I write a post I have to quickly bang it out or it just sits and festers and rots and whatever, and I never finish. As I'm going about my day and such I do have ideas and I'm like, 'wow, that would be great to blog about' and then I never do it. So I'm going to try again today. Because I think I've finally found my life's biggest conundrum.
Biking on the sidewalk.
Everyone does it. EVERYONE. There's always a time where a biker will be like 'oh shit the street is way too dangerous and I'm probably going to die' and then they head over to the sidewalk. But all bikers, well maybe not all, but at least the hardcore ones hate when people bike on the sidewalk. They're the scum of the biking world. Yeah okay, it's passable if you have small children or the elderly or whatever, but besides that it should not be allowed. For one it puts pedestrians in harms way, and more importantly, on a busy street, it is literally impossible to bike. There is no way a person can successfully bike down a crowded street unless they knock a couple of people over, or shout at the top of their lungs, or something.
So why does everyone hate it when people bike on the sidewalk? Walkers could just walk to the side of the sidewalk, and the bikers could cruise down the middle. It's really more of an inconvenience to the very elderly and the bikers themselves.
So. All I'm saying, Is that I don't think biking on the sidewalk should be so frowned upon. Like today I biked to my architecture class which is downtown and I biked on the street, but there were a lot of cars and a lot of traffic and everyone was going kinda crazy. And I really really really wanted to get on the sidewalk. But do you know what prevented that from happening? My dignity.
So to conclude this post.
I'd like to end all this shit about biking on the sidewalk.
I know it's a hazard to pedestrians and whatever.
But sometimes it is necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! Seeing as I've been biking like, EVERYWHERE over the past couple of days, I just don't want to get involved in that busy street life. So I'll head over to the sidewalk. And if there's no one around? I'll just move quickly along like, "nothing to see here" and just get on with it. If there are people around, I'll just take it slow and notify them politely with a "hey, on your left/right" "excuse me" or "watch out before I run you over" >:D. ...Lol. Sooooo if you're being careful, I honestly don't see why it's such a big deal. Thing is, I guess it's those un-careful people who are giving us innocent sidewalk bikers a bad name... In theory, it should be a win-win; pedestrians stay safe and we bikers don't get slaughtered on a busy road. Simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you! Yeah, the awesome one in the back! (; You've just been nominated for the Sunshine Award! Click here to bask in your glory: http://strictlystephanie.blogspot.com/2014/07/o-happy-day-another-award-d_14.html
    Congrats! (:

    ReplyDelete